Slow Cooker Chinese Beef & Broccoli
A classic Chinese takeaway dish adapted for a "fakeaway" which has the added bonus of being super easy to prepare. Simply put all the ingredients (except for the broccoli) in CleverChef Pro and let it do the rest for you!
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil (or similar)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 600g stewing steak
- 250ml beef stock
- 60 ml soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Chinese 5-spice
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, halved (optional)
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine (optional)
1. Optional first step: select the SAUTE program, select BEEF STEAK and press START. Add oil and allow to heat. Add the beef in batches and stir regularly for ~3 minutes until browned. Then add the onion and soften for a further 3 mins. Press the BACK button.
2. Select the SLOW COOK function and scroll down to BEEF STEW. Adjust the cooking time to 4 hours, add all the rest of the ingredients apart from the broccoli and press START (see note above about the broccoli).
3. When the cooking program has finished, assuming you did not add the broccoli in step 2 then add the broccoli, press the BACK button and select the SAUTE function, select BEEF STEAK and press START. This will boil the broccoli for 7 mins and it should be nicely cooked with a little bit of crunch.
If you are in a hurry then feel free just to put all the ingredients in the pot. However, if you do have time then browning the meat at the start is a game-changer and will really intensify the flavour of the final dish. Also if you cook a lot of Chinese food and you have shiitake mushrooms and Chinese rice wine on hand then add these for an extra level of complexity and flavour. The broccoli can get added at the start but if you want to retain a little bit of crunch, like you would get in a stir fry, then add the broccoli at the end and cook for 5 mins.
Wonderful served with steaming white rice which you can do really quickly in the CleverChef Pro.