Beef & Guinness Stew
Making a beef stew this tender would take hours in a slow cooker. The CleverChef Pro makes this hearty, warming and deep-flavoured stew in under 30 minutes.
Pro Tip: for an even more complex flavour you could fry off some lardons / pancetta for 5 mins before you add the onion.
Serving Suggestion: Great served with crusty bread or creamy mash, with some extra veggies on the side.
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or other cooking oil)
- 500g diced beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 8 pickling onions or small shallots (skin left on)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 400ml Guinness (or any dark beer of your choice)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Select the SAUTE program, select BEEF STEAK and press START. Add half the oil and allow to heat. Add the beef in batches and stir regularly for ~3 minutes until browned, then set aside.
2. Add the remaining oil along with the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, thyme and bay leaf and stir regularly for ~3 minutes until the veg begins to soften.
3. Add the Worcestershire sauce, beer, beef, pickling onions, stir to combine, then press the BACK button.
4. Put the lid on and close the pressure valve then select the PRESSURE COOK function then scroll down and choose BEEF STEW. The default cooking time is 20m which is right for this recipe so press START.
5. The CleverChef Pro will take a little time to come up to pressure and will then cook for 20 mins. When this has finished we recommend the SLOW RELEASE method before opening the pressure valve and removing the lid.