Chilli Con Carne
This smoky chilli recipe is the perfect casual sharing experience for the family or guests. Go all out for a fully-loaded chilli by adding cheese, guacamole and soured cream in addition to rice and wedges.
- 2 tbsp olive or cooking oil
- 500g minced beef
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans of kidney beans
- 250ml beef stock (GF)
- 1 tsp cocoa powder (optional – see Pro Tip)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Soured cream (to serve)
1. Select the SAUTE function then choose the BEEF STEAK program and press START. add the oil and allow to heat. Add the mince and stir regularly for 5 minutes until browned.
2. Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, chilli powder and paprika and stir to combine for a further 1 minute.
3. Add the tomato purée, pepper, tomatoes, kidney beans and stock and stir well to combine, cooking for a further minute until the program ends.
4. Put the lid on and close the pressure valve then select the PRESSURE COOK function, choose the CHILLI BEEF program.
5. When the program has finished, we recommend the SLOW RELEASE method before opening the pressure valve and removing the lid.
A teaspoon or so of cocoa or cacao (raw cocoa) powder in this can give an amazing depth of taste and is actually an authentic addition to Mexican ground beef dishes.
Wonderful served with white rice and a dollop of soured cream.