Black Bean & Pumpkin/Squash Spanish Stew
A fabulously healthy stew - vegetarian - that’s also delicious and redolent with the taste of Spain, heady with garlic and paprika. If you wanted to add meat then some sliced cooking chorizo would be a perfect addition.
Serving Suggestion: Wonderful with white rice or, for lunch, on its own with some bread.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes (use pumpkin at Hallowe’en!)
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 red pepper – sliced
- 100g baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 x 400g tin black beans (or dried equivalent, soaked overnight)
- 250ml vegetable stock or water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves (to garnish)
Suitable for: CleverChef Pro 4.8LCleverChef Pro 5.7L
Select the SAUTE function and then the VEG CAULIFLOWER program and press START. Add the oil and allow to heat for 1-2 mins.
Add the onion slices and garlic and fry for 5 mins until soft and starting to brown.
Add the smoked paprika and chilli powder and fry for a further 2 mins so the spices start to give off a lovely aroma and a nice paste forms.
Add the squash and stir to coat. Add the red pepper, tomatoes, black beans, stock and salt and stir to combine. Press BACK to stop the program.
Put the lid on, check the pressure valve is closed then select PRESSURE COOK function and then the CURRY VEG program and press START.
When the program has finished allow a SLOW RELEASE and open the lid.
Taste and add lemon juice if the stew needs a hint of sharpness and adjust seasoning.
Serve with a generous sprinkling of parsley.
Like this recipe?
Made this recipe?
Download our free recipe app