Cooking times will vary depending on the size, thickness and weight, cut (if you choose a differently to silverside) of your beef joint as well as how well done you like it. Timings are approximate and you should adjust according to how you like your beef done. You should use the internal temperature guide below to help you choose how well done you like your beef joint. Based on a 1.5kg joint cooking for 50 mins this should come out medium but we suggest taking a temperature reading to be sure.
- 5kg silverside beef
- 1 large onion peeled and studded with 5 cloves
- 1 orange cut in half
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 3500ml beef stock (or water)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
1. Press the SAUTE function, select BEEF STEAK then press the START button and add the oil taking a couple of minutes for this to heat up. Season the joint with salt and pepper and sear for 5 minutes turning regularly.
2. Add the onion, orange, vinegar, brown sugar, bay leaf and stock. Press BACK.
3. Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to closed. Select the PRESSURE COOK function, scroll down to BEEF SHANK and adjust the cooking time to 50 minutes for medium (rare, reduce by approx. 5 minutes and well done, add an extra 5 minutes).
4. When cooking has finished, allow a SLOW RELEASE. If you have one, then use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the beef once done
5. Serve with mashed potatoes, white sauce, cabbage and carrots